Home > Parents > Road Safety
Road Safety of Students
ROAD SAFETY OF STUDENTS
We would like to seek your cooperation to work with the school in ensuring the safety of students coming to and leaving school. This is especially important as young children may not have the skills required to use roads properly and do not always fully appreciate the dangers presented. Their small physique also makes them less visible to motorists.
This letter reiterates the road safety policies of the school:
- Reduce vehicle speed and stay alert for pedestrians in the school zone.
- Cooperate with traffic marshals to ensure overall safety and smooth traffic flow.
- Let your child alight only at the designated drop-off point.
- Be advised not to violate traffic rules by driving recklessly or making illegal maneuvers such as turning into the school from the outer lane(s) of the road.
- Do not horn indiscriminately.
- Help your child alight from the car as quickly as possible.
- Reinforce correct road safety behavior such as using the pedestrian crossing, and avoiding jaywalking or using a handphone while crossing.
- Remind your children to practice the kerb drill before crossing - “look right, look left, look right again, ensure all vehicles have stopped, raise your hand high up and cross the road briskly”.
- If your child must cycle to school, ensure that he knows safe cycling rules and is a competent cyclist.
For the safety of everyone, enforcement action will be taken against motorists who violate traffic rules.
We thank all parents and guardians who have been the role models for our children.
Mrs Tan Wie Pin
On Behalf of SPF and LTA
LTA has completed a sheltered linkway along the footpath outside the school from the main vehicular entrance (Gate B) to the junction of Ang Mo Kio (AMK) Ave 6 and 9. They have also extended the shelter to the school’s Gate E. Please see the following photographs.
Together with the existing linkway from the Ang Mo Kio – Thye Hua Kwan (AMK-THK) Hospital exit to the school’s Gate A, all pedestrians will have a sheltered walk from school to the 2 signalised pedestrian traffic crossing and traffic junction. This will help to keep our parents sheltered from the sun and rain while they wait for our pupils during dismissal.
40km/h When Lights Flash Sign
LTA has installed the 40km/h When Lights Flash Sign along AMK Ave 9. On the school side of the road, it is just before AMK-THK Hospital’s entrance. Please see the photograph below.
On the other side, it is just outside the former Chaoyang School. LTA installed this sign at the start of an Enhanced School Zone. The two amber lights will flash alternatively during school days from 6.30am to 7.45am and from 12noon to 2.30pm. Upon reaching this zone, motorist should reduce their travelling speed to 40km/h when the lights are in operation. Motorist should still drive within the designated speed limit of the road when the lights are not in operation. LTA has also informed that motorist caught committing the offence of careless/inconsiderate driving, beating red lights, or speeding within school zones will receive an additional demerit point from the Traffic Police.